Recipe by Charlotte J
This butter combines all the elements of the classic Old Fashioned cocktail and consequently finds a cozy place in the holiday kitchen and on the holiday table. Use it with pork, ham, duck and turkey or try it baked inside an acorn squash or tossed with carrots, beets and sweet potatoes. It’s also wonderful as a spread on bread, rolls or muffins.
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon orange bitters or 1 tablespoon Angostura bitters or 1 tablespoon additional Bourbon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, soak the cherries in bourbon, stirring occasionally, until bourbon is almost absorbed.
- This will take 2 to 12 hours.
- Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and with an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle) or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Add the soaked cherries, zest, sugar and bitters or additional bourbon (if using) and beat to incorporate, scraping sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Scrape into a small bowl, serving crock or butter mold and cover tightly or shape into a long roll in grease-proof paper (plastic, wax or parchment) for storing and slicing as needed.