Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Put these ingredients in your Bean Pot and after about six hours you'll have the best baked beans you've ever tasted! Serve with Baby Back Ribs and Party wings.
- Remove stones from beans, rinsing well in a colander.
- Place beans in a large pan, adding a teaspoon of salt along with enough water to cover contents by 3 inches.
- Over high heat, bring beans to a rolling boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, cover pan and let stand for 1 hour.
- Uncover pan, breing contents back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender (1 to 1 1/2 hours).
- As necessary, add more water to keep beans well covered.
- Drain beans well, reserving liquid.
- In a 2 1/2 quart bean pot (or casserole) combine molasses, brown sugar, mustard, ketchup and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add drained beans. Then stir in enough reserved cooking liquid to cover beans.
- Mil well.
- One one side of pot, push whole onion down into beans.
- Cut several gashes in the salt pork and push it down into beans on other side of the pot.
- Cover pot, place in oven and set heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake until beans are bubbling (about 1 hour).
- Reduce heat to 250 degrees and continue to bake for 6 to 8 hours more, stirring every hour or so.
- As beans cook, they will absorb liquid.
- Continue cooking, adding reserved liquid (or water) a little at a time to keep beans moist, but not soupy.
- Baked beans are done when thick and fragrant, with a deep, brownish red color.
- When serving, remove and discard onion, while keeping in sliced salt pork if desired.