Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I haven't made these yet, but i adore crumb cakes.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups thick sour milk
- Stir sugar, salt, cream of tartar and flour together; blend in shortening and mix like pie dough to make crumbs.
- Mix well.
- Keep aside 2 handsful of crumbs.
- Add eggs& 1 cup milk alternately to first mixture.
- Add soda to 1/4 cup milk, then add vanilla.
- Beat well and place in greased and floured pie tins.
- Fill 1/2 full and top with crumbs.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Use 3 7" pie tins.
- Bake in 375° oven for about 20 minutes.
- For variation, the juice of 1 lemon and grated rind may be added to mixture, then omit cinnamon.