Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An old fashioned recipe that I revamped to make sugar-free and lower in fat. This is an easy standby recipe for a quick prep desert that will wow family and guests alike. Original recipe from my circa 1963 Pillsbury Family Cook Book.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (less if grating your own)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten (it is okay to use egg beaters here)
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk (bring almost to boiling point) or 3 cups 2% low-fat milk, scalded (bring almost to boiling point)
- 2 cups bread, cubes (I use day old italian bread leftovers)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup dates (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and vanilla extract in a 2-quart casserole.
- Add eggs, butter and scalded milk, blend well. DO NOT ADD EGGS TO HOT MILK THEY WILL SCRAMBLE, mix everything together then briskly stir in the scalded milk.
- Stir in bread cubes and raisins Place casserole in pan of hot water in your oven Bake at 350°F for 45-60 minutes until knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean TIP: To evenly distribute raisins or dates, stir gently 20 minutes into cooking.