Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3 cups soft bread cubes (about 5 slices)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put butter in small bowl.
- Scald milk (heat till just below boiling) and pour over butter, stir to mix well.
- Beat eggs.
- Gradually stir into milk mixture. Stir in sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
- Put bread cubes and raisins in a 1-1/2 quart baking dish; pour in milk mixture. Stir gently to moisten the bread evenly.
- Set in a larger pan; add hot water to the outer pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold.
Oh, this is DH's favorite dessert of all time. I made this for him and he was in seventh heaven. I had a French bread that needed to be used up and it was perfect for this dish. I also make a vanilla sauce to serve on top of this, so good. Thank you for sharing with us your recipe, its a winner in our house!
This recipe is SOOOO simple and SOOOO good! Try it! You'll love it! (I add a little Cool Whip on top when it's cold! Excellent!)
This was my first time making bread pudding. I made several modifications based upon what I have heard others say they used. Modifications I made: decreased butter by 1 TB; decreased milk by 1/2 c; added 1/4 cup applesauce; added a handful of walnuts finely chopped with the food processor; added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract; added some nutmeg and extra cinnamon; used brown sugar, jumbo red raisins, and double fiber bread. It was yummy.