Prep 0 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe came by here from Anne Lindsay's Lighthearted Everyday Cooking. I have been using this recipe since 1991 and believe....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. For us...this is THE recipe. Enjoy! I have tweaked this ever so slightly...only because we like tomatoey beans. Cooking time does not include overnight soaking.
- 1 lb white pea beans
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, to be added near the end of cooking
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 slices bacon, chopped (I used thick slices of bacon, chopped)
- Rinse beans; discard any discoloured ones. In large saucepan, soak beans overnight; drain. Add water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes; drain.
- In bean pot or 8 cup casserole, spread onion slices.
- Add drained beans.
- Combine molasses, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, pepper and hot water.
- Pour over beans and top with chopped bacon.
- Cover and bake in 250 degree oven for 6 hours; uncover and add about 1/2 cup ketchup -- and stir. Add more water if you need to. Bake uncovered for another hour.
Fantastic! I add one or two chipotles in adobo sauce. I like things hot...