Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Perfect for lazy, weekend breakfasts. Sackville Girl made a sub and used raspberries and, well, you can see the great results in the picture! I must have really big muffin tins (or maybe they're bigger in Europe?) cause I get a dozen over-sized muffins with this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400F; line twelve muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in small saucepan; stir over medium heat until butter melts; cool until mixture is warm to touch; beat in eggs.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into large bowl; add milk mixture and stir just until blended; fold in blueberries (or raspberries).
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups; Bake until golden and tester comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.
- Variation: You can use raspberries instead of blueberries.
2005 review: Very nice. I microwaved the butter and milk mixture too, like JillAZ. I also substituted whole wheat pastry flour for regular - not bad at all; not as gritty as regular whole wheat. Thanks for posting! ***updated 2009 - this is one of my go-to recipes still. Just wonderful, easy, and adaptable. I microwave the milk and butter together for a minute in a pyrex measuring cup, mix in the eggs with a fork, add the zest and vanilla, and proceed from there. Too lazy to clean a muffin tin most of the time, so I often bake in a 9x9 or 9x13 pan, for delicious blueberry cake squares. Usually I use lemon zest rather than orange zest, but either are delicious!
Mmmmmm.... so flavorful and tender and moist with a lovely crisp around the edges! I made this recipe into a loaf of bread because it is so much easier for DH to take with him to share on the jet when he flies. Since I made a loaf, I baked in a 350* oven for 55 minutes. I used buttermilk in place of the regular milk, lemon zest for the orange (as that's what I had on hand), and fresh-picked raspberries.
These were very good and more like a mix muffin than most recipes. I did a batch and a half and it made a dozen giant muffins. I didn't have muffin cups so sprayed the tin and it stuck some so will make sure I buy some for next time (there will be a next time). I melted the butter in the microwave and then added it to the milk with the vanilla and used lemon peel since I didn't have any orange. Then I didn't need to wait for it to cool. I also made a topping of sugar, butter and flour, brown sugar and oatmeal and put that on before I baked it. These were very good, don't pass this up! Thanks for recipe.