Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious Old-Fashioned Blueberry Buckle with a touch of cardamom and lemon! Best eaten while still warm, with a cuppa (cup of coffee or tea) or glass of milk, and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream, as desired. Good for breakfast or as dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups blueberries, well drained (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375dF. Generously grease and flour a 9-inch round or square cake pan.
- Make Topping:.
- Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl; use your fingers to rub in the butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Make Batter:.
- Use a wire whisk to blend the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom together in a medium sized mixing bowl; whisk in the lemon zest. In a large bowl cream together the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla; stir in the milk. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, stirring just until blended. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester or knife comes out clean.
- Let the buckle cool for 10 minutes, then carefully loosen sides with a knife or spatula before turning out onto a serving dish.
- Serve warm with a cuppa coffee or tea (or glass of milk), topped with ice cream or whipped cream, as desired.