Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A taste of summer!
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 quart black raspberries or 1 quart blackberry
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Blend water, cornstarch and 1/2 cup sugar; pour over berries in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and when mixture thickens, pour into an 8x8 baking dish. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, 1 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly and set aside.
- Combine milk and egg and add to flour mixture. Stirring just to moisten.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto hot fruit mixture and sprinkle top with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400º for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.