Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From the book Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook.
- 1 lb dried black turtle bean, soaked overnight
- 1 ham bone or 1 ham hock
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (optional)
- Combine the drained beans, ham bone or hock, and broth in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on High until boiling, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, garlic, and celery and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add to the cooker along with the marjoram and bay leaf. Cover, turn the cooker to Low, and cook the soup for 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, and sherry, cover, and continue to cook on Low 15 minutes longer.
- Discard the bay leaf and ham bone, returning any bits of meat left on the bone to the soup. Puree in batches in a food processor or in the cooker with a handheld immersion blender. Taste to adjust the seasonings. Add some boiling water to thin, if desired. Ladle into soup bowls and serve hot.