Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are really good - but sometimes in my oven 15 minutes is not quite enough so watch closely to make sure they are not underdone and when adding a couple minutes make sure they don't become overdone.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in butter using pastry cutter or use 2 knives.
- With fork stir in buttermilk to make a soft dough (I have used an equal amount of buttermilk powder with added water and it works wonderfully in this recipe.
- Turn out onto lightly floured workspace and knead no more than 10 times to form a ball (if you over do it the biscuits can be tough).
- Roll into a 6" x 6" square.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Cut into 12 portions but do not separate.
- Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with butter, honey, jam, or gravy.
Great old-fashioned biscuits. I liked the technique of cutting them into squares and leaving them intact (not separating). I rolled mine out into more of a 7x7 inch square. I did have to bake mine about 7 minutes longer so they were cooked all the way through. My family oohhhed and aahhhhed as they ate this biscuits hot out of the oven. ~Made for Spring 2011 Pick a Chef~