Recipe by Bev
Take the hassle out of dinner tonight by letting this scrumptious stew simmer in your crock pot all day. From BH&G.
Top Review by magpie diner
Thanks Bev - I'm not overly experienced with making meat stews, so couldn't say if this was really old fashioned or not (someone else mentioned it not the type of beef stew they were used to), I'd say this is the best one I've made. The end result was tasty and your quantities are bang on*. Browning the meat is a little time consuming, but I think worth it. *After reading some of the reviews I added about a cup of water to the crock pot...the gravy was the perfect consistency. I actually made two batches, one to freeze. I couldn't fit it all in one so in the one batch I used russet potatoes and the other batch I used a more waxy red potato. I'd say the russets worked best since they break down a little in the gravy. The only thing that seemed to be missing was garlic...but maybe that's just me. Thanks Bev - I'm sure I'll make this for the meat eaters in my house again.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb beef or 1 lb pork stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 1⁄2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons snipped fresh marjoram or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons snipped fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour in a plastic bag.
- Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven brown meat, half at a time, in hot oil.
- Drain off fat.
- In the bottom of a 3-1/2- or 4-quart electric crock pot layer onion, potatoes, green beans, corn, carrot, and meat.
- Combine vegetable juice cocktail, bouillon granules, Worcestershire sauce, marjoram, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Pour over meat and vegetables in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.