3 hrs 10 mins
This is an adopted recipe. Please try it and give me your feed back. It looks delicious! (I prepared this and made a few notes below. It is a good basic beef stew to which cooks can add other things and make it their own - for example, I added thyme and frozen peas - acerast.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1 inch
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess.
- 2In a large kettle, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
- 3Add beef and saute until browned about 6 minutes.
- 4Remove and transfer on a plate.
- 5In the same kettle, add 2 tbsp oil and add onion and mushrooms.
- 6Saute for for 6 minutes.
- 7Add garlic and saute for 1 minutes.
- 8Pour off fat.
- 9Return beef to kettle, stir in tomato paste, broth and and water just enough to cover.
- 10Bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat and simmer until beef is tender. (I simmered for about 2 hours for tender meat - acerast).
- 12Add carrots, potatoes, and green beans.
- 13Cover partially and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. (The vegetables took about 20 minutes to cook and I simmered them an additional 30 to help them develop flavor - acerast).
- 14In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water.
- 15Stir in stew.
- 16Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- 17Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 564.3
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 114.8 mg
- Sodium 475.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 44.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean beef chuck