Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
- 1 (16 ounce) package white beans
- 1 ham bone
- 3 cups ham, cubed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) canwhole-kernel white corn, not drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- additional water, if needed to cover
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and quartered
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, pureed
- sliced green onion (to garnish)
- Soak the beans in cold water to cover overnight.
- Drain beans and place in the crockpot with the ham bone.
- Add corn, chicken stock, oregano, paprika, chili powder, black pepper, bay leaves, if using, and additional water or stock, if needed, to slightly cover.
- Cover crock-pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients except ham and green onions, mix well.
- Shift cooker to low setting and cook for about 5 additional hours.
- About 30 to 40 minutes before end of cooking time, remove bay leaves; mash some of the beans against the side of the liner to thicken the soup slightly; add the reserved ham cubes and sliced green onions.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve as complete meal or over rice.
- Leftovers freeze well.