Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I took a little from one recipe and a little from another recipe to come up with the kind of bean soup we like....putting it here for safe keeping....
- 2 lbs dried great northern beans, rinsed, drained & picked over
- 4 ham hocks, 2 fresh and 2 smoked or 4 ham bone
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves, garlic minced
- 3 potatoes, pared and cubed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
- Put rinsed beans in pan and cover up to 2 inches past beans in large pot -- let sit overnight.
- Drain, put beans back in pot, add water and the rest of ingredients.
- Bring to boil, turn to simmer and cover.
- Simmer for at least 3 hours or until beans are soft.
- Take out bones and dice up any meat on bones and put back into pot -- You can add more ham if you want.
- Discard fat and bones.
- Season to taste with pepper and salt and parsley.
This turned out Super Good!!! But do you realize that in the description on the recipe it says it cooks 72 hours! LOL!