Recipe by CIndytc
I took a little from one recipe and a little from another recipe to come up with the kind of bean soup we like....putting it here for safe keeping....
- 2 lbs dried great northern beans, rinsed, drained & picked over
- 4 ham hocks, 2 fresh and 2 smoked or 4 ham bone
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves, garlic minced
- 3 potatoes, pared and cubed
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried savory
Directions See How It's Made
- Put rinsed beans in pan and cover up to 2 inches past beans in large pot -- let sit overnight.
- Drain, put beans back in pot, add water and the rest of ingredients.
- Bring to boil, turn to simmer and cover.
- Simmer for at least 3 hours or until beans are soft.
- Take out bones and dice up any meat on bones and put back into pot -- You can add more ham if you want.
- Discard fat and bones.
- Season to taste with pepper and salt and parsley.