3 hrs 20 mins
A hearty winter soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place barley in a bowl, cover with tepid water.
- 2Let soak for 1 hour.
- 3(Do not use pearl barley for this soup).
- 4Place cold water, beef brisket, course salt in soup kettle.
- 5Add the drained barley.
- 6Bring to boil over low heat and skim the surface.
- 7Add 1/2 cup of cold water and continue to skim.
- 8This is important, as here lies the difference between a good-colour barley soup and another with a greyish and dirty colour.
- 9When all the scum has been removed, add the remaining ingredients.
- 10Bring to boil, cover, leaving a 1 in.
- 12Simmer for 3 hours over low heat.
- 13Add 3 tbsp butter and the juice together with the rind of the lemon.
- 14Do not boil once the butter has been added.
- 15Served garnished with chopped parsley or chervil.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.3
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1207.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: