Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A hearty winter soup
Make and share this Old Fashioned Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Place barley in a bowl, cover with tepid water.
- Let soak for 1 hour.
- (Do not use pearl barley for this soup).
- Place cold water, beef brisket, course salt in soup kettle.
- Add the drained barley.
- Bring to boil over low heat and skim the surface.
- Add 1/2 cup of cold water and continue to skim.
- This is important, as here lies the difference between a good-colour barley soup and another with a greyish and dirty colour.
- When all the scum has been removed, add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil, cover, leaving a 1 in.
- Simmer for 3 hours over low heat.
- Add 3 tbsp butter and the juice together with the rind of the lemon.
- Do not boil once the butter has been added.
- Served garnished with chopped parsley or chervil.