Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Similar to rice pudding.
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- Boil water and add barley and salt.
- Cook slowly for 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Combine milk, salt, sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs and beat well.
- Then add cooked barley, raisins, lemon rind and juice.
- Turn into a well-greased 1 ½ quart baking pan.
- Set pan into a larger baking pan in oven.
- Pour hot water into the larger pan to within an inch of the top of the custard.
- Bake at 325 degrees, for about 1 hour until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot or cold.
A nice change from rice pudding and healthier for diabetics. Very tasty and loved the "chewiness" of it. And not too sweet! I made a couple of changes. Left out the raisins and added a little ground cardamom. Made for ZWT 9.