This just makes me a kid again. Cookies, bananas and pudding all in one spot was always almost too good to be true. This is a food group unto itself!
- Mix flour and salt in a large sauce pan.
- Add milks and egg yolks to pan slowly, stirring constantly over medium heat, until mixture thickens, about 7-8 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Layer enough banana slices to cover the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover the bananas with 1/3 of the pudding mixture, and layer with 1/3 of the vanilla wafers.
- Repeat layering, starting with bananas, then using pudding, then vanilla wafers.
- Do the layering a third time as usual, except do not cover the pudding with wafers; place the wafers around the edges of the casserole, tucked into the pudding.
- Beat the egg whites at high speed with a mixer until they foam.
- Add the sugar gradually, and keep beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this over the top of the pudding, forming a seal to the edges.
- Bake pudding at 325F for 25 minutes or until the meringue becomes light golden.
- Allow to cool 30 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate unused portions.
I used Splenda in place of the sugar, and omitted the meringue as we don't care for it, but the pudding was great and it will be made again soon!
we had never had banana pudding like this and OMG this was sooooo good we could'nt get over how divine this tasted thankyou
This is by far the best banana pudding recipe! This is exactly like my Grandmother's recipe and is outstanding!