Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Before Cool Whip and instant pudding, this was how a cream pie was made. If you leave out the bananas, you have vanilla cream pie. If you add 1 cup shredded coconut to milk as it's being heated, you have coconut cream pie.
- 9 inch pie crusts, baked
- 709.77 ml whole milk
- 177.44 ml white sugar
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 29.58 ml butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 bananas
- Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
- In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
- In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
- Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
- Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Let sit until lukewarm.
- When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
- If desired, make a meringue (you'll have 3 leftover egg whites) to top the pie, or just let the pie cool until serving.
At the advice of my mom, I decided to make this for my Survivor group last night. It was a hit. I found it very easy to make. My only problem was that I didn't make enough. I thought one pie would be sufficient for 6 people, but as most everyone wanted seconds I should have made two. Thanks for sharing Lennie.
Excellent pie. Easy to make and delicious. My kids love puddings too, so I can see we will be making this in all its pudding variations as well: vanilla, coconut or banana. Almost as easy as pudding out of the box but much tastier! Update..this was so good I couldn't wait to try it again as a coconut cream pie. My daughter suggested I cover top with plastic wrap as it cooled and top it with whipped cream before serving. Divine!
Easy and very good. I added the coconut for a great banana-coconut cream pie-good reviews from the lucky ones who got to sample it before I finished it off.