Before Cool Whip and instant pudding, this was how a cream pie was made. If you leave out the bananas, you have vanilla cream pie. If you add 1 cup shredded coconut to milk as it's being heated, you have coconut cream pie.
- Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready.
- In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
- In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
- Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
- Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Let sit until lukewarm.
- When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
- If desired, make a meringue (you'll have 3 leftover egg whites) to top the pie, or just let the pie cool until serving.