Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from the Pet Good Cook's Collection. With the butter cream frosting, the old-fashioned taste of this moist, rich cake is hard to beat!
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 teaspoons vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 lb powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix evaporated milk with vinegar and add to dry ingredients alternately with shortening and bananas.
- Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add eggs and beat an additional 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour into pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completeely on wire rack.
- BUTTER CREAM FROSTING:.
- In a small bowl, beat butter, evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar and continue to beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency.