Recipe by Cookin In Texas
Just like grandma made! Got this from an old recipe box that belonged to my mom.
Top Review by Abby, Sarah & Eli's Mom
I have This recipe from my nana aswell. It is slightly different in that we only use almond extract and substitute sliced almonds for walnuts. We also use whole wheat flower. I have people begging me for this bread evrytime they come over. The secret to keeping it moist is in the mixing. My mixer is never off from the minute the 1st ingredient goes in the bowl to the last
- 2 very ripe mashed bananas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (sifted)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour bread pan.
- Beat butter in bowl until fluffy, Add sugars mix well, add in the egg plus egg whites the vanilla and almond extract mix well, on high speed add your bananas mix until smooth.
- In another bowl combine flour,sifted baking soda,salt and baking powder.
- Now add flour mixture to banana mixture and mix well.
- Hand mix in walnuts (save a small hand full of nuts to place on top of loaf before baking).
- Pour mixture into bread pan bake until knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean which should be 1 hour and 20 minutes cool and serve with butter of whipped topping.