Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My little granddaugher loves pink, I can't wait to make this wonderful treat for her. Best of all it tastes delicious and is really quick and easy to make. A perfect dessert served plain or with some vanilla bean ice cream. It is best served warm.
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tart cherries, pitted and undrained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 2/3 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Mix milk and almond extract together and lightly stir into the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased 11 x 7 " pan and set aside.
- In a small pot, add the cherries, butter and 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil.
- Cook, constantly stirring for 2 minutes until the sugar disolves.
- Add the toasted almonds, stir well and spoon the mixture over the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This was greatly enjoyed !! I was not sure if it turned out correctly as I was not sure what to expect. It was a little like a dump cake. I used fresh cherries and pitted them by hand which is always a pain in the neck but a necessity.