Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Most requested recipe for me to bring to a potluck or family reunion. I received it from my husband's aunt in the 1960s and has since been my favorite dish. The recipe may be halved for a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) boxmacaroni elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (12 ounce) packages cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni noodles in salted water until just before being tender. (Noodles will continue to bake in dish.).
- While noodles are cooking, beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk to eggs and stir in all other ingredients except the 8 ounces of cheese.
- Combine drained noodles with egg mixture.
- Pour into buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Begin baking at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 15 more minutes until becomes bubbly and slight brown at edges. Sprinkle 8 ounces of cheese on top and bake for last 5 minutes. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
Took this dish to a lake cook-out. It was a huge hit. Followed the recipe to the letter with one exception...dusted with finely crushed cheez-its when sprinkling the cheese on top for the last 5 minutes of baking. It really crisped up the top. Comfort food at it's best. Thanks for posting.
This was an excellent mac n cheese recipe. I used a 9X15 in baking dish and the mixture fit in it perfectly. I also broiled it for a few minutes to brown the top and get a little crunch. It was simple and delicious. Thank you Seasoned. I will never use a different mac n cheese recipe again.
I was after *comfort food* & found it big time w/this classic & creamy Mac & Cheese. I halved the recipe, made as written & baked it in a 7x11-in baking dish (slightly larger than the 9x9-in suggested, but it was filled to the top). I found it in need of salt & pepper, but know that is a maatter of pers pref. I served it w/a sml hamb steak well-seasoned w/Montreal Steak Seasoning & topped w/caramelized onions for 1 of the most satisfying comfort food meals I can recall. *Yum* ! Thx for sharing this great recipe w/us. :-)