Most requested recipe for me to bring to a potluck or family reunion. I received it from my husband's aunt in the 1960s and has since been my favorite dish. The recipe may be halved for a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) boxmacaroni elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 quarts water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 (12 ounce) packages cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni noodles in salted water until just before being tender. (Noodles will continue to bake in dish.).
- While noodles are cooking, beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk to eggs and stir in all other ingredients except the 8 ounces of cheese.
- Combine drained noodles with egg mixture.
- Pour into buttered 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Begin baking at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 15 more minutes until becomes bubbly and slight brown at edges. Sprinkle 8 ounces of cheese on top and bake for last 5 minutes. Do not over bake. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.