Recipe by Eldeevee
I usually increase the brown sugar to about 3/4 cup and double the molasses to sweeten the beans up and I omit the bacon/pork. I cook the beans and then throw everything in the crock pot to cook for 8-10 hours on high. This recipe comes from the package of Thompson White Beans.
- 1 lb white beans
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 pinch black pepper
- hot water, as needed
- 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1⁄4 lb salt pork, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick and rinse beans.
- In a large pot, add cold water to cover.
- Bring the beans to boiling and then simmer for 30 minutes - do not add any salt, this toughens the beans.
- Place onions in a casserole.
- Mix seasonings and turn into pot.
- Add beans and hot water to cover.
- Arrange pork on top.
- Cover and bake in a slow oven (250*F) for 7 hours.
- After 4 hours, mash 1 cup of beans and return to pot.
- Add liquid to keep beans covered.