Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is the first recipe I tried to make baked beans from scratch. It has been a favourite for 20 + years.
- Wash beans, place in medium bowl, cover with cold water and refigerate overnight.
- Drain beans, place in saucepan and cover with 6 cups hot water, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered 40 minutes or till tender.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Drain beans, reserve 2 cups liquid.
- Place beans in 2 quart bean pot or casserole with tight fitting lid.
- Mix together all other ingredients (except pork), add bean liquid and stir to combine.
- Add pork to beans, mix in well.
- Pour liquid ingredients over beans and stir well, be sure liquid covers beans.
- Cover and bake 5 hours.
- Stir every hour, if bean dry out add small amounts of boiling water as needed.
- Note: preparation time doesn't include overnight refrigeration.