Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a truly old-fashioned dessert and truly delicious!
- 4 baking apples (like Spy or Golden Delicious)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup diced candied ginger or 1⁄4 cup diced dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup maple sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into 4
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup or 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice or 1⁄4 cup water
- Remove the core of the apples with an apple corer or small knife, leaving about 1/2" at the base.
- Peel the top one third with a vegetable peeler or sharp knife.
- Place apples in an 8" square baking dish or in another ovenproof pan that holds them snugly.
- Place 1 tbsp.
- raisins in each apple.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar with cinnamon and add 1 tbsp mixture to each apple.
- Place 1 small piece of butter in each apple.
- Combine syrup with apple juice in a small bowl and pour over and around apples.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 45-55 minutes or until apples are very tender.
- Baste a few times during baking.
Now this is Comfort food! To the apple juice I added Disaronno(Almond Liqueur)Very good. I used a mixture of raisins and diced candied ginger. Thanks for a great recipe.
Delicious! I used raisins, honey, and water and baked until soft, about 15 more minutes. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Good taste-I made this exactly as directed using maple syrup. I would have like the apples sweeter so next time I am going to double everything ( except the apples). Overall-I enjoyed this recipe. Thanks Country Lady!