Recipe by Bergy
Try serving this for breakfast, kids love them. They hit the spot as an evening treat too I like to use "release"non stick foil
Top Review by Mary Catherine cpa
Yummmmm!! I have loved baked apples since I was a little girl. These were the best, Bergy. Soft and tender with a totally delicious filling and sauce. We had these for dessert but I agree, they would be nice for breakfast. I prefer mine warm, without any cream. Just lovely. Thanks.
- 8 large rome apples, washed & cored
- 1⁄3 cup granola cereal
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 fresh lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- whipping cream, chilled or softly whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel off one strip around the center of each apple.
- Slice a thin piece off the bottom of each and place them almost touching in an oven proof dish.
- Combine the granola,raisins, nuts,cinnamon nutmeg and lemon peel.
- Toss to mix well.
- Divide the filling among the centers of the apples, pack the filling down lightly.
- In a saucepan combine the lemon juice, honey, apple juice& butter.
- Bring to a bubbly simmer about 5 minutes.
- Pour over the apples.
- Cover with foil and bake 350F degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the apples and continue baking for about another 30 minutes, basting frequently with the juice.
- Cool to almost room temp serve with the cream.