Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe on a Duncan Hines spice cake mix box. It was easy to make. It was not too sweet, but sweet enough! I used chunky applesauce & I did not frost the cake -- I just sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar, but the frosting sounds good too.
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease & flour a 13 X 9 pan.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, applesauce, and oil in a large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in nuts.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert onto cooling rack, then turn right side up.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting:.
- Combine vanilla frosting and cinnamon.
- Stir until well blended.
- Spread over cooled cake.
I love these types of cakes when you are in a pinch for time and want a different flavor from the standard cake mix recipe. I too used chunky applesauce (I wanted to add to the texture of the cake) and used the cinnamon/sugar mix sprinkled in the bottom of the tube pan (Bundt style) prior to baking so it gave it a nice topping. Adjusted the baking time for the pan I used but that was easy enough to do based on the instructions on the box. Perfect texture and nice depth of flavors. Thanks for sharing. Made for Pick-A-Chef event Spring 2010.