Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe comes from SPLENDA. A good dessert for diabetic's.
Top Review by Ms B.
The flavor and texture of this cake is awesome. It is a very spicy and moist cake. However, it is not suitable for most diabetics. The molasses is a natural sugar and takes the carb level too high for most diabetics to safely tolerate. I served this with a dollup of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon. I would think that chopped nuts and/or raisins would be a good addition to this cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-calorie margarine
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 unsweetened applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8x8 metal pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and molasses with an electric mixer on high for about 1 minute.
- Add egg substitute and vanilla and blend on high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Mixture will be very liquid.
- add Splenda and beat on medium until smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and applesauce and beat on low until mixed, about 45 seconds.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and Bake 30 minutes.