Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from SPLENDA. A good dessert for diabetic's.
Make and share this Old Fashioned Applesauce Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8x8 metal pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and molasses with an electric mixer on high for about 1 minute.
- Add egg substitute and vanilla and blend on high speed for about 30 seconds.
- Mixture will be very liquid.
- add Splenda and beat on medium until smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and applesauce and beat on low until mixed, about 45 seconds.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and Bake 30 minutes.
The flavor and texture of this cake is awesome. It is a very spicy and moist cake. However, it is not suitable for most diabetics. The molasses is a natural sugar and takes the carb level too high for most diabetics to safely tolerate. I served this with a dollup of whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon. I would think that chopped nuts and/or raisins would be a good addition to this cake.
I will definetly make this recipe again, but will cut the molasses to 1/4 cup and up the applesauce to 3/4-1 cup. Plus will bake in larger pan and bake it until it is somewhat crispy on the bottom and sides. I served this with a whiped topping made with non-fat dry milk and sugar twin.