1/2 Photos of Old Fashioned Apple-Raisin Crunch a La Mode
A Frank Davis recipe from New Orleans, Louisiana. In his own words, "Telling you about this dish doesn't do it justice--you gotta taste it for yourself!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons triple-sec liqueur (Triple-Sec or I've subbed Grand Marnier)
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 4 large golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced thick
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- 2In a heavy 12" skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter, watching that it doesn't burn.
- 3Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar and stir the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved, becomes carmelize and reduced.
- 4Slowly add the liqueur and the apple juice, stirring constantly until all the ingredients are smooth.
- 5At this point, drop in the sliced apples and sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
- 6Mix together well, making sure that the apple slices are coated with the syrup.
- 7Reduce the fire to low and simmer the fruit until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Do not over cook because the dessert will be baked later.
- 8While the apples are simmering, butter a 10"x12" baking dish with the 3 tablespoons butter. Evenly sprinkle the 1/2 cup raisins on the bottom.
- 9In a large bowl, mix together the 1 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup softened butter to form a crumbly topping that resembles granola. This works best if using 2 knives to "cut" the ingredients into each other.
- 10Finally, pour the apple mixture into the prepared baking pan with raisins then sprinkle the pastry mixture over the top of the apples, working a little of it into the fruit.
- 11Bake in preheated oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the top turns a crunchy, crispy brown.
- 12Spoon generous helpings of the apples, raisin and crunchy topping into small bowls and serve piping hot, topped with slightly softened vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Apple-Raisin Crunch a La Mode
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 702.6
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 76.2 mg
- Sodium 208.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 63.7 g
- Protein 3.2 g