Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Use the tastiest apples and citrus you can find.
Make and share this Old-Fashioned Apple Crisp recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs mcintosh apples
- 1 grated orange, zest of
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I usually use just a dash)
For the topping
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 lb cold butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish. (I use a 13x9 glass baking dish.).
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.
- Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.