1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Apple Cider Pie
V'nut-Beyond Redemption's Note:
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pastry for 9" pie, 2 Crust
- 6 cups apples (Use cooking apples like Macs or Granny Smith's. Core and peel them)
- 1 cup apple cider or 1 cup juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon regular margarine
- 1Divide the pastry almost in half and roll out the larger half on a lightly floured surface to a 13-inch circle.
- 2Line a 9-inch pie tin with the pastry.
- 3Trim the edge to 1/2-inch beyond the rim of the pie tin.
- 4Combine the apples, 1 cup of apple cider and the sugar in a 3-quart saucepan and cook, over high heat, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- 6Drain the apples, reserving the syrup.
- 7Add enough additional apple cider to the syrup to make 1 1/3 cups.
- 8Return the syrup and apples to the saucepan.
- 9Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
- 10Stir the cornstarch mixture and the cinnamon into the apple mixture.
- 11Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- 12Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, then pour the mixture into the pastry lined pie tin.
- 13Roll out the remaining pastry to an 11-inch circle.
- 14Fold the pastry gently, so as not to tear it, into quarters and cut slits in the folds.
- 15Gently unfold the pastry on to the top of the filling and trim the edge to 1-inch beyond the rim of the pie tin.
- 16Fold the top crust under the lower crust and form a ridge by fluting the edge of the pie.
- 17Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- 18Cool on a wire rack until slightly warm before cutting and serving.
- 20This is the perfect pie to serve with the rich cheddar sauce in this file.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Apple Cider Pie
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.2
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 104.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 35.2 g
- Protein 1.3 g