Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from an older lady who sold chutney and jam's at a local bake sale stall. I haven't made it yet, but I will! I am keeping it here for safe keeping.
- 1 1⁄2 kg apples
- 1 1⁄2 kg onions
- 1 1⁄2 kg ripe tomatoes
- 850 ml white distilled vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper (not freshly ground)
- 1 7⁄8 kg white sugar
- Finely chopped the peeled and cored apples and the onions (food processor would work well, but don't over whizz it and make a sauce).
- Peel and slice the tomatoes and place in a large pan with all the other ingredients.
- Boil for about 2 hours and stir occasionally. Place into sterilised bottles and seal.
- Chutney keeps for 12 months and once opened, keep in the fridge.