Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is based on a recipe from Jenny Ridgwell's book, The Book of Cocktails.
Make and share this Old Fashioned recipe from Food.com.
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cube)
- ice cube
- 1 ounce rye whiskey or 1 ounce bourbon whiskey
- 1 slice lemon peel
- 1 maraschino cherry (I also add 2 teaspoons of the juice)
- In old-fashioned tumbler, muddle bitters with sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add ice cubes and rye or bourbon.
- Extract zest by twisting lemon peel over drink, then drop it in and garnish with cherry.
A classic recipe for a cocktail that will mainly appeal to people who like a slightly sweeter drink. Works best using whisky with a fairly neutral taste.
Great recipe! I have never tried one of these before, and I like it! I had a new bottle of bitters in the liquor cabinet so I thought I'd give it a whirl; it smells wonderful. I added a squeeze of lemon juice and I used Crown Royal Special Reserve. Made for veg*n tag.