1/1 Photo of Old Fashion Rabbit Stew
2 hrs 45 mins
Baby Kato's Note:
This is a wonderful rabbit dish from my Armenian friend Dina. It is so tasty. A great dish for special company. Everyone will want this recipe. Well worth all the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop rabbit into 12 pieces, discard the head and feet.
- 2Chop the onion and garlic finely.
- 3Slice and dice the bacon.
- 4Make a bouquet garni by tying together the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with string.
- 5Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole.
- 6In the same pan, fry garlic, onion and the bouquet garni.
- 7Add the bacon and allow to color lightly.
- 8Pour off excess fat.
- 9Return rabbit to pan and deglaze with the red wine.
- 10Add 3 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- 11Peel small onions and remove root ends.
- 12Rinse well.
- 13Cook the onions in water to cover, add sugar, butter, salt and pepper.
- 14Cook until all water has evaporated and the sauce is caramelized.
- 15(20 min) Peel and cut potatoes into narrow rectangles.
- 16Add potatoes to rabbit stew after the stew has been cooking for 90 minutes.
- 17Cook covered until tender.
- 18Serve stew with caramelized onions and garnish with chopped chervil.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashion Rabbit Stew
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.8
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.7 mg
- Sodium 744.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: