Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Rich molasses cookies
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, in small bowl
- In a bowl combine molasses and sugar.
- Add butter to boiling water; add to the molasses mixture, mix in vanilla and egg.
- Stir in flour, ginger, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder blend well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into small bowl of sugar roll around, shake off excess; place on greased baking sheets.
- With flat bottom glass flatten cookies a little.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
Perfect for what I was looking for. I used cane syrup instead, and it turned out great. Very soft!
Half of my house hold has never had Molasses cookies. Two days and the whole batch of cookies were gone. I love how the cookies had a cake texture. Not quite like the ones mom made growing up but very good cookies.
These were very good, crispy coating outside and soft inside. Not sure why the boiling water, but did it anyways as wanted them to be perfect for my new boyfriend, who's favorite cookies are molasses. They were a hit! Thanks LDJ