- 2 cups lentils
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped with leaves
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced and strained
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak lentils for 12 hours in 6 cups of water.
- Drain. Put in pot with 12 cups of water and ham bone. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 3 hours.
- Add chopped onion, celery and carrots. Simmer for another hour. Thicken by adding butter and flour. Add paprika and salt to taste.
- Just before serving add 1 vinegar or strained tomatoes. Serve.