Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I've had this recipe for over 40 years, thought it was lost, but it finally surfaced! I've revised the recipe to work with my KA mixer however you can also use the dough cycle on your bread machine.
- In medium saucepan, heat first 4 ingredients until very warm (120-130 degrees).
- In large mixing bowl combine warm liquid, 2 cups all-purpose flour and remaining ingredients.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed with paddle attachment.
- Change attachment to dough hook and in 1/2 cup increments add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead at Speed 2 with spiral dough hook until a dough starts to clean sides of bowl.
- Continue to knead until a satin ball has formed, about 2 more minutes.
- Place dough in oiled bowl, cover and let rise in warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Punch down dough and divide into two balls and shape to fit loaf pans.
- Cover and place in warm place to rise until doubled in size, 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until deep golden brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- If desired brush tops with butter.