Prep 7 mins
Cook 28 mins
This is my favorite recipe for Ginger Cake. Autumn in Missouri to me is this cake served with fresh whipped cream (or Cool Whip) and fresh apple cider. This recipe comes from my Grandmother Daisy Werth recipe journal. There were no instructions other than bake in moderate oven till done. My Mother & Aunt tell me I make it just like she used to.
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lard or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄3 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 9x13 cake pan (can use something like Bakers Joy if desired). Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together molasses, brown sugar, and the lard or butter until light and fluffy. Mix in well beaten eggs. Set aside.
- Bring water to boil; measure out 1 cup and dissolve the baking soda in the water. Set aside.
- In separate bowl mix together cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, salt and flour.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the boiling water/soda mixture (while still hot). Whisk quickly to incorporate all ingredients well. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake 28-33 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.