1/2 Photos of Old Fashion Cinnamon Rolls
I came across this recipe in 1990 and make these every Christmas for client gifts. Friends request these for birthday instead of cake! I've adapted this recipe slightly according to tips and suggestions from all that receive these rolls. Please note prep time does NOT include times for dough to rise
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup shortening or 1/3 cup lard
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110º)
- 2 eggs
- 3 -3 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons water
- 1Combine milk, shortening, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar and salt in medium suacepan; heat until shortening melts, stirring occasionally.
- 2Cool mixture to 110º.
- 3Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water in large mixing bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in milk mixture, eggs, 1 cup flour, and oats mixing well.
- 5Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 6Turn dough out on floured surface and kneed until smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes).
- 7Place in well greased bowl, turning to coat.
- 8Cover w/plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place (free from drafts) 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 9Punch dough down; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- 10Place golden raisins in 1/4 cup water and simmer on stove for 5 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat, leaving raisins in liquid.
- 12Divide dough in half and roll each half to a 12 inch square.
- 13Spread each square with 1 tablespoon butter.
- 14Drain raisins.
- 15Combine 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1/3 cup butter, raisins, pecans and cinnamon; spread evenly over dough.
- 16Roll up each square of dough (jellyroll fashion) pinching seams to seal (do NOT seal ends).
- 17Cut into 1 inch slices, place slices in two greased 8 inch square baking pans.
- 18Cover and let rise in warm place free from drafts approximately 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- 19Bake at 375º for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 20Combine powdered sugar and water, drizzle glaze over warm rolls.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashion Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 260.1
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 28.7 mg
- Sodium 138.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 23.1 g
- Protein 3.3 g