Oh, my goodness! Rich, creamy...what more do you need? I believe this is like my Mom's recipe. I found it on a blog, Mommy's Kitchen. After searching here and not finding any recipe like it, I am posting it for everybody. You may make your own crust or use a frozen one. Baking the crust is not included in the prep or cooking time. If you like a darker chocolate, add more cocoa.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 cups Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 3 eggs, separated, reserve the egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Bake your pie crust and set aside to cool.
- 3In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, mix sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa together with a whisk.
- 4Add evaporated milk whisking well. Stir constantly.
- 5When heated through, add the 3 egg yolks after tempering them with some of the warm milk mixture.
- 6Whisk to incorpoate the yolks then stir constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- 7Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 8Meringue Topping:.
- 9After filling has cooled, make the topping.
- 10In a clean cold bowl, add the egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar. Whip on high until stiff and soft peaks form.
- 12Add cooled pudding to the baked pie shell.
- 13Spread the top with your merinque making sure the meringue touches the sides of the pie shell (this prevents shrinking).
- 14Broil until the meringue is lightly golden brown.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashion Chocolate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.7
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 205.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 38.1 g
- Protein 10.9 g