Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Oh, my goodness! Rich, creamy...what more do you need? I believe this is like my Mom's recipe. I found it on a blog, Mommy's Kitchen. After searching here and not finding any recipe like it, I am posting it for everybody. You may make your own crust or use a frozen one. Baking the crust is not included in the prep or cooking time. If you like a darker chocolate, add more cocoa.
- Bake your pie crust and set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, mix sugar, cornstarch, and cocoa together with a whisk.
- Add evaporated milk whisking well. Stir constantly.
- When heated through, add the 3 egg yolks after tempering them with some of the warm milk mixture.
- Whisk to incorpoate the yolks then stir constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meringue Topping:.
- After filling has cooled, make the topping.
- In a clean cold bowl, add the egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar. Whip on high until stiff and soft peaks form.
- Add cooled pudding to the baked pie shell.
- Spread the top with your merinque making sure the meringue touches the sides of the pie shell (this prevents shrinking).
- Broil until the meringue is lightly golden brown.
Followed your recipe right on down, using my own pie crust & almost doubling the amount of cocoa in the filling! However, when it came to the meringue, I left it off! Interestingly enough, although I'm not a big fan of that kind of topping, I will eat it when it's there! Anyway, the finished pie was an absolutely wonderful chocolate fix for us two chocoholics, & for that we thank you! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]