2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
Luby Luby Luby's Note:
If you would like to try your hand at cajun cooking look no further. This is the epitome of South Louisiana cooking and served on many tables throughout South Louisiana for Sunday dinners. If you really want to be authentic you would make your chicken broth/stock from scratch, but time always seems to be limited for me so I do use canned broth/stock to save time. Most stews and gumbos are even better the next day so I try to make this the day before I intend to serve it. As the cajuns like to say "C'est si bon"!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs chicken leg quarters, Divided
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups flour, Divided
- creole seasoning
- 2 large onions, Minced
- 3 stalks celery, Minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, Minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, Minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, if needed for thinning
- 1Liberally sprinkle chicken with creole seasoning and set aside.
- 2Place 1 1/4 Cups Flour in zipper-top plastic bag and season well with creole seasoning.
- 3Add chicken to zipper-top bag and shake well to evenly coat chicken with flour.
- 4Set chicken aside and let rest for 15 minutes.
- 5While chicken is resting In large heavy pot heat oil over medium heat until hot (about 15 minutes).
- 6Slowly add floured chicken and brown on all sides.
- 7Drain off all but 1/2 cup of oil and drippings.
- 8In remaining 1/2 cup of oil add 3/4 cup of flour, stirring constantly.
- 9Cook over medium heat until roux is medium to dark brown.
- 10Add onions, celery and bell pepper and saute about 5 minutes.
- 11Slowly add chicken broth, bay leaf, garlic, Worcestershire Sauce and Chicken Broth.
- 12Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 13Add reserved chicken pieces to pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 14Add creole seasoning as needed and simmer another 10 minutes.
- 15If stew seems a bit too thick add a little more chicken broth.
- 16Remove bay leaf and serve over hot steaming rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashion Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 944.5
- Calories from Fat 569
- Total Fat 63.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 235.5 mg
- Sodium 944.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 59.8 g