1/2 Photos of Old Fashion Chicken 'n Dumplings
3 hrs 30 mins
Mama Sweet Rolls's Note:
This is a family favorite for those cold fall and winter nights. It is so warming and creamy. I usually make mine with more dumplings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chicken and Broth
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens, cut up
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 -6 whole fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- 2Add the chicken, 1tsp. salt, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and parsley to the pot.
- 3Reduce the heat to simmer and cook the chicken, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- 4The liquid will reduce by about one third.
- 5When the chicken has cooked, remove it from the pot and set it aside.
- 6Strain the stock to remove all the vegetables and floating scum.
- 7you only want the stock and the chicken, so toss everything else out.
- 8Pour 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) of the stock back into the pot (keep the leftover stock, if any for another recipe- it can be frozen).
- 9Use a smaller pot of a large saucepan for this.
- 10Add pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoons salt, and lemon juice.
- 11Reheat stock over med. heat while preparing dumplings.
- 12For dumplings: Combine ingredients in bowl.
- 13Stir until smooth, let rest for 5-10 minute
- 14Roll out onto floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness.
- 15Cut into 1/2 inch squares and drop into the simmering stock.
- 16Use all of the dough.
- 17They will first swell and then shrink as they partially dissolve to thicken the stock into a white gravy.
- 18Simmer for 20-30 minute until desired thickness.
- 19Stir often.
- 20While stock is thickening, the chicken will have become cool enough to handle.
- 21tear the meat from bones and remove skin.
- 22Cut meat into bite-size or desired size pieces.
- 23Add to pot.
- 24Simmer till chicken heated (5-10 min.).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashion Chicken 'n Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (1112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 761.4
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 170.0 mg
- Sodium 2093.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 46.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh parsley leaves