easy recipe... truly Canadian recipe
Make and share this Old Fashion Bread Pudding With Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 7 cups white bread or 7 cups egg bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups half and half milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- Place the bread cubes in a 9 x 13 buttered glass pan.
- Sprinkle the raisins over the bread.
- Drizzle on the melted butter, do not mix into the bread cubes and raisins.
- Set this aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until broken up and blend in the sugars, nutmeg, half and half and the milk.
- DO NOT OVER BEAT THIS MIXTURE JUST COMBINE.
- Pour the mixture over the cubes and raisins and let it all soak in, gently patting the bread down into the milk every now and then.
- Sprinkle the top with a grating of more nutmeg.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the pudding for 50 minutes, checking about the 40 minute mark, that its not getting too brown-- If it is cover with foil loosely.
- Bake until pudding is puffy all over and golden.
- Remove to rack to cool.
- Sauce-- In a saucepot over med.
- heat, melt the butter, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, and remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the salt, vanilla, and milk.
- The sauce can be made ahead, then warmed in the microwave-- Cut cooled pudding into squares, and top each with hot sauce.
Southern cooks cherish a good basic bread pudding recipe. Darlin'! This is the one! I've made it several times now and it always turns out well. I use fresh Italian bread, but I've combined Italian bread with honey wheat sandwich bread. Cook's Illustrated mag. recommends using challah, if you can find it. This one is so good that it doesn't need a sauce. It keeps well and reheats nicely in the microwave.
I made 1/2 a batch, knowing that there was only going to be one daughter and myself eating this......big mistake! This is awesome!
WOW! This recipe is just wonderful! We loved everything about it! The pudding was perfect, and the sauce was fantastic! Thanks so much for this recipe, it was great :)