Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe that my Great Aunt Augustine introduced me to over 25 years ago. When she first told me about, all I could think was "Beet Jelly? I don't think so!" It just sounded so strange! But we made a batch together and she then gave me a little on some bread to try. Again, "I don't think so" ran through my head but in our family we always try something before we decide whether or not we like it. I was pleasantly surprised and began making it for myself. I often make it in the fall during harvest time and reserve a few jars to give away as Christmas gifts. It is always well received, or at least it is after they have tried it! There are a couple of similar recipes on Food.com but their recipes are more water down and not as full flavoured as this one! Give it a try! You'll never look back!
- 3 cups beet juice
- 4 -6 teaspoons lemon juice
- 57 g Certo, pectin crystals
- 4 cups sugar
- 85 g Jello gelatin (strawberry or raspberry)
- When cooking beets, scrub the beets well and cut them in half before placing them in the pot. Cook until tender and reserve the liquid.
- Measure out 3 cups of beet juice and mix it with the the Certo and lemon juice. Bring this to a boil.
- Once boiling, add sugar and Jello and boil for about 4 minutes.
- Pour into sterilized jars.