Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Cooks.com, this recipe is gravy based instead of tomato based. Enjoy!
Make and share this Old Fashion Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 quart water
- 2 (8 3/4 ounce) bags frozen stew vegetables (or use more or less if desired)
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons season salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet or 1⁄2 teaspoon Gravy Master
- In a plastic bag, combine flour with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add meat cubes, shake to coat.
- In a large saucepan, brown meat, in the hot bacon drippings. Add water, soup mix and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes, until beef is nearly tender.
- Add vegetables (except peas), cover and simmer for 30 minutes more. Add peas last 10 minutes.
- If you need to thicken the stew some, use 1/4 cup of the leftover seasoning flour, mixed with 1/2 cup cold water, (make sure there are no lumps) and stir into the stew. Cook an additional 5 minutes.