Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An ALL-American Favorite and my favorite stew recipe to serve on a cold winter's night!! Well worth the work! Serve with warm biscuits.
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 cups carrots, sliced (I use baby carrots & slice in 1/2)
- 2 cups small red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh sliced green beans (slice into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- salt & pepper
- Coat beef with flour, shaking off excess.
- In large nonstick pot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add beef and saute until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Remove and place on plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms to drippings; saute for 6 minutes.
- Add garlic; saute for 1 minute;.
- Pour off fat and then return beef to pot.
- Stir in tomatoe paste and broth.
- Add enough water to cover meat; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim off foam.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and beans; Cover partially; simmer for 15 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into stew.
- Increase heat and boil uncovered for 1 minute.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.