Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are great especially for packed lunches or light dinner. They freeze really well so you can make them ahead and have them handy. Just heat them up and enjoy.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ounces lard or 3 ounces shortening
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 lb beef or 1⁄4 lb chicken liver
- 1 celery rib
- 1⁄2 ground beef
- 1 small carrot
- salt & pepper
- 1 small turnip
- 2 potatoes, raw sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 small onion
- Mix flour and lard, then add salt and water. Work into smooth dough and rest under a cover or in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling:.
- Chop liver coarsely in a blender and mix with beef.
- Add salt and pepper and let rest for 10-20 minutes.
- Peel onion and pare potatoes, carrot and turnip; slice thinly, and blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes with thinly sliced celery.
- Drain and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness; cut into 3 large squares.
- Put a layer of vegetables on half of each square and top it with meat mixture.
- Brush edges of dough with egg and fold plain half over the meat.
- Pinch edges together tightly.
- Bake for 1 hour: first for 2-3 minutes at 400°F, then at 325°F for 1 hour.
I tripled the recipe and made 12 to freeze most and it was terrific!